Saturday, April 25, 2009

An Acrostic Poem For The Chicken Pox

Book Meme!

1) What authors do you own the most books by?
Terry Pratchett, but that's not hard to achieve...

2) What book do you ownthe most copies of?
2x Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirlee, one in German and one in English; my very favourite book in the whole wide world
2x Stardust by Neil Gaiman, again one in German (w/ illustrations) and one in English
2x Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf,  -"-

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?

A little, but who am I to talk xp.

4) What fictional characters are you secretly in love with ?
Secretly, lol. It's been so many. Every other book I read has a crush in it. To name a few: Howl Jenkins, Sorensen Carlisle, *cough* Bartimaeus *cough*, Zooey Glass, ..., does Alan-a-Dale count? He is fictional after all...

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
Definetely Lud-in-the-MIst by Hope Mirlee. I read it every spring. It's my comfort book. A close second is Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, another one of my favourite books.

6) What was your favourite book when you were ten years old?
I did not read very much as a child, I was one of those kids sitting in front of the telly all day. Shame on me. That's why I read so many childrens books. I have a lot to catch up on.

7) What is the worst book you've read the past year?
The Twilight stuff. Yes, I read more than one. 'Nuff said.

8) What is the best book you've read the past year?
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
and
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

9) If you could force everyone to read own book, what would it be?
Only one? I'll cheat then:

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirlee, beautiful language (in the German version anyway)
or
My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell, a book that screams SUMMER
or
the Howl's Moving Castle series by Diana Wynne Jones, the coolest world and characters ever
and of course
the Witch series by Terry Pratchett, my philosophy

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for literature?

I'm not that competent to say. But in my world, Diana Wynne Jones would win it.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Many books are already made into a movie... I am looking forward to The Hobbit. There are as well rumours that Bartimaeus will be a movie. I'd like to see the movie of Changeover or Tricksters by Margaret Mahy. And one book I'd really like to see as movie is Lud-in-the-Mist. I am quite repetitive today, sorry.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
Twilight
. So there goes that wish.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?

Twilight! Is this the new 42?

15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
Some of the Virginia Woolf stuff, like To the Lighthouse etc. I still don't know what it's about. I TRIED to read Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce and I failed miserably. Oh, and the Medieval stuff is no picnic either, if you can ignore the translations on the other side of the page.

16) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?

French!!! They are both not really on my reading list, but I read Madame Bovary. I started War and Peace, but I stopped 5 minutes later. I leave the Russians for when I'm retired :).

17) Umberto Eco?
A bloody brilliant bloke. I still want to read some of his academic writings.

18) Roth or Updike?
I only know Updike, so him?

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
I begin to feel stupid. Who?

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Oh, I know them! I don't like Milton very much. So it's Chaucer, and everyone has to love Shakespeare!

21) Austen or Eliot?
HAHA! Austen! George Eliot is...hm.. I'll give her another try very soon. Satisfied?

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
ALL the German classics. And I'm afraid I haven't read many Dickens novels.

23) What is your favourite novel?
I don't want to write it down AGAIN. See No. 5.

24) Play?
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, Macbeth by Shakespeare, and The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde.

25) Short story?
The short stories and short novels by J.D. Salinger. Neil Gaiman is a fantastic short story writer, too.

26) Work of non-fiction?
Ehm, I don't know. Oh right! The Fairy Books by Brian Froud! Especially, the book about the Cryptozoologic Society of London. But is that really non-fiction? For me it is, so there.

27) Who is your favorite writer?
I love many writers. But if I have to name one (or two), it would be Virginia Woolf and Diana Wynne Jones.

28) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
42! I mean Stephenie Meyer :).

29) What is your desert island book?

Say it with me now: Lud-in-the-Mist.

30) And ... what are you reading right now?
The Book of Dreams by O.R Melling. I'm not quite over the fact that it's set in Canada xp, but it's nevertheless a good read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment